Turtlelicious!

Every time I get the opportunity to mediate a dispute or help solve a problem, I stress the importance of following up a wrong with a sincere apology. Authors Gary Chapman and Jennifer Thomas wrote a wonderful tool for helping with this called The Five Languages of Apology that we actually studied with our staff last year. We made a Give Me Five! so that we could handily recall the five Rs that the book talks us through, then we posted them as a reminder of the critical components of a genuine apology. When we're truly sorry for what we've done, we regret what happened, we take responsibility for it, there may be some restitution to make it right, we need to repent to the person we've wronged, and we request forgiveness. One forgiveness piece that I add for my students is to replace the glib response "It's okay" when they're receiving an apology with "I accept your apology and I forgive you."
In the book Franklin Forgives, the hard-headed big brother is far from willing to say "It's okay" much less "I forgive you" when his little sister loses his gold fish on a family outing. He worries that forgiving means forgetting and he finds out just how hard it is to accept an apology and forgive. He also discovers why it's ever-so-important for both the giver and the recipient of that forgiveness.


Speaking of turtles, here's a kid-friendly recipe for the pecan cluster TURTLES that I make with my kids.


Turtles
1 bag of caramels (I use Kraft but Brach's work, too)
About 96 large pecan halves (two for each caramel)
1 1/2 lb. melting chocolate or almond bark
A few slivers of Gulf canning wax (optional)
Aluminum Foil
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Lay two pecan halves side-by-side, flat-size down to make turtle clusters on a cookie sheet. Unwrap the caramels and place one on top of each pecan cluster. Place in warmed oven for 4 or 5 minutes to slightly soften the caramels.  While caramels are softening, put chocolate into bowl for melting, adding a few slivers of wax to thin it out a bit if desired. Melt chocolate on high in the microwave for one and a half minutes, stirring after the first minute so it doesn't burn. Dip the pecan clusters into the chocolate and let them dry on a piece of aluminum foil before enjoying these turtlelicious treats!  (Yield: 4 dozen)


 Try This Turtle Tutorial:



Wait, did I say that this is our favorite thing to eat? I meant share!  
Happy apologizing, forgiving, and sharing!

5 comments

  1. I really like the high five "R's". Our school is piloting a restitution program and this will fit right in. Thanks. Yummy recipe too;)

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this apology hand! Never heard of the book before so thanks for sharing. Now sharing back at ya

    Easy Turtles we make in Kindergarten

    mini size pretzels (round or square)
    rolo chocolate pieces
    pecan nuts

    Spread the mini pretzels on a large cookie sheet. Put one rolo chocolate on the pretzel. Bake at 250 degrees for 6 minutes. Take from oven and squash a pecan half on top. Let cool for several minutes. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo - that sounds even easier . . . I wish I liked pretzels . . . . thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOHHHH! I saw the title and I was hoping this post had chocolate in it! YUMMY!

    Yesterday I was at Jen Runde's blog for a beverage recipe. Now this! Happy! Happy!

    In my class, we talk about an "apology of action"--sometimes we need to DO something to set things right. I love your idea of going beyond "It's okay." You're right: That is an oft-used phrase that glosses over the whole issue. I'll have to listen more carefully!

    I just love to visit the Corner!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Turtles! Thank you for posting! I found you on TBA and was lured in by those little chocolately morsels! Great ideas on your blog...I am a new follower!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!