When They Call Me Mom

Counselors wear many hats, but mostly, I just love it 
when the kids call me mom
It happens by accident, of course, and just for a few weeks right at the beginning, though I am kind of like a surrogate for many of them, especially at first. Sometimes they call me by another teacher's name, like Mrs. Quigley or Mrs. Ellis, and I like that, too, because I admire those women. Every so often they call me by the Principal's name, which I'm cool with as long as her duties don't come along with her name!

I spent the first week back cajoling, comforting, and calming!

I visited all seven of my kindergarten classes last week, to meet our newbies and talk with them about what a counselor does. They typically don't know what my role is, but after watching me for a few days, they have some pretty good guesses that include: 
Help us pick up trash. Teach us. Smile at us. Help keep us safe. Help us if we're lost. 
Open our ketchup. Be the boss of the school.  

Yep, that's a lot of hats! My first year in elementary when I asked what a counselor was, one kindie raised his hand so confidently that I was sure he knew. His answer went something like this:  Well, if you cancel something then it's gone and you can't have it back unless you order it again and then you have to call the 1-800 number but only if you have your parents' permission cause you cancelled it and it's gone. Yep, he'd heard canceler. That was twelve years ago and I remember it like yesterday 'cause I was thinking that I might not be cut out for this job.....I'd gone from processing college applications for high school seniors to canceling stuff.

But as it turns out, this job suits me perfectly and every year I eagerly anticipate their responses to my inquiry about what they think a counselor does. This year's favorite, from yet another kindergarten sprout, probably tops them all. And what does he think a counselor does?  
Counts us in!
So whether I'm counting or canceling, comforting or calming,
counseling is my calling, regardless of what they call me.


7 comments

  1. Barbara, this is just beautiful. Just like you. Thanks for sharing this. I will count you in every day :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great responses, and they're very blessed little ones to have you around watching over them.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post. I was called grandpa once:)
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! It's so sweet when they call me mom and then get that little chuckle when they realize their mistake. But here's my favorite . . . One year, after I'd been in a particular class a lot during the first week, one kindergartner said to me, "What do you DO, anyway?" Another one piped up, "She's for when you cry!"

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww.. how precious! Counselors are so vital to our schools. I speak for many when I say, we appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!