The Reality of Life

The reality of life - that it will come to an end - came crashing our way this past week when our daughter lost one of her elementary-school friends in an auto-pedestrian accident. 

Here's their SEARCH class in 2001; Dylan in grey, Kaitlyn in orange.

As she was processing and reflecting, 
she wrote this on her FB wall:
  
Life is too short sometimes. Rest in peace, Dylan. You were one of my longest childhood friends and even though we weren't close in high school, you always still were so nice and friendly, to everyone. You could make even the grumpiest teacher smile. We'll be praying for and supporting your family through this. 

Sometimes life IS too short; Dylan would have turned twenty on Sunday. It was painful to sit next to my daughter at his funeral yesterday and feel the unspeakable grief in her heart that I saw through the unbearable sorrow in her eyes. Words cannot adequately explain how hard it is to let go and 
say goodbye
especially to someone so young, whose adult life was just starting. 
And when those bagpipes started to play. . . 

What resonated through the pain, and flickered at the end of a long, dark tunnel is the gift that Dylan left behind, what brought all of us together to that jam-packed cathedral Saturday and connected us to that young man: kindness. Dylan was fun-loving, friendly and kind. He put so much life into his short nineteen and a half years with us and he did it always with that signature grin on his face. Right now I'm too sad to say much more, except to ask for prayers for his family; his dad Todd, his mom Carolyn, a teacher in our school district, and his brother Garrett, a senior at FHS. 

As I remember Dylan, I'd like to share this Amy Krouse Rosenthal video clip that asks - 
How do you want to be remembered?






11 comments

  1. How awful! Prayers with your daughter and all others affected. It's so hard to lose someone so young...

    Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa. You are right about this being SO hard; we appreciate your prayers!

      Delete
  2. I'm reading and writing this through tears. How sad! Tomorrow will be the 3rd anniversary of losing my husband at the young age of 49. Each day is sad and lonely without him! Prayers for this young man's friends and family....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan Lulu, I am SO sorry for your loss. You have incredible empathy because you've walked in this family's shoes. Thank you for sending your prayers our way.

      Delete
  3. I'm so very sorry Barbara. I do pray your community feels strength and peace from God during this difficult time.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Tammy. We do feel God's presence and peace through our sorrow!

      Delete
  4. How KIND of you to share this heartfelt story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really rough. I'm so sorry for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear this. One of our kindergartners lost his dad last week and it is so hard to see the family go through this. I am sure your family is feeling empty and lost too. God has plans for everyone's life--we might not like the plan, but it is there. We just have to stay strong with one another. Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, How often God uses you as a conduit of His love!! I will be praying for this family and your family, as well as your school community! What a HUGE loss! And gone way too soon, but left a wonderful legacy! I cannot imagine the pain that his family is feeling!
    I lost my precious mom, a few days ago, after having her for 56 years (my age)! The thought bubble video was a perfect thing for me to see this morning after reading her obituary in the paper this morning. The words that have been shared with us, about my mom, have been a worthy list - kind, fun, sweet, faithful servant, caring! Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us - they are always inspirational and a wonderful resource for me personally and professionally! Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story and the beautiful video. It really makes me appreciate my loved ones!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!