Operation Respect


Today for Maria Dismondy's Make A Difference Monthly 
we're talking about courage, and 
here's what I'm wondering:  
How much courage 
must it take to say the words 
Don't laugh at me... 
out loud!


Thursday night at the Forum, we were treated 
to a legendary performance and benefit concert by 
Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary. 
And though singing If I Had A Hammer 
along with him (can you believe some of the crowd was too young to know the words!) 
was pretty powerful, this song from the book above 
(and available at Operation Respect
really struck a chord with me.


As he launched us into our evening, Peter added different words 
to the chorus the second time through:
Please smile at me.
Please be my friend.
Please accept me, just as I am.
There is no out, there is no in;
Someday we'll all have perfect wings.
Be kind to me. . .
. . . and it made me want to encourage my students 
to write the next verse. I wonder what they'd imagine it sounding like.

Click {here} for other lesson ideas that target courage
Then go to Maria's blog and link up your courageous lessons.


3 comments

  1. I love Don't Laugh At Me. I use it every year and usually shed a tear or two as I discuss the topic of name calling, accepting our differences, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen that book before. I must get it...especially for my own daughter. As she is getting older (now in kinder!) I find it more and more important for us to talk about these types of issues...peer relations can be so tough for the little ones and finding your footing, as well as standing up for yourself, is so hard.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the age of two until six my youngest son was always saying " don't laugh at me". We worried he didn't have a sense of humor but now he's one of the funniest people we know. I'll have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!