Time-honored Traditions

Since we spent the weekend dropping our boys off at their respective camps, I decided that this week I'd share some of our family's time-honored traditions. It'll perfectly complement a summer series on Family Traditions that author Maria Dismondy will be starting at her blog.

One of our favorite summer traditions is taking our kids to camp, mostly because they like it so much. There's incredible opportunity for autonomy and growth from leaving the comforts of home and living, playing, and studying with other kids your age while being mentored by college-aged counselors for six days. 

This week our youngest is at Band Camp and our older two are at the Lutheran Outdoor Ministry of Texas Camp Lonestar. We've got a twelve-year tradition there now since Kaitlyn first started going at the end of second grade. She came back at eight-years-old and told us that she wanted to be a counselor there when she's in college, and, sure enough, this summer she's back at CLS for eleven weeks as a full-time Camp Counselor. Just look at her adorable attempt to get mail while she's in the woods; she'd love a letter if you feel like maybe sending her a note of encouragement or your favorite inspirational quote or Bible verse. Jacob's there volunteering as a junior staffer. Both boys will return there in July to experience it as campers as well. For all three of them, it's like heaven on earth. And it's kind of fun for the parents, too, to have a week-long respite from the daily grind of caring for the kids and to enjoy some grown-up time.


Do you have a favorite summer tradition?



6 comments

  1. Funny you should post this today. My kids also went to many camps over the years - both in Canada and here in Texas, as well as the wilds of Minnesota with the BSA. But my youngest, Elissa went the longest and most consistently -to Camp Cho-Yeh in Livingston. She went from 1st grade through high school, eventually becoming a counselor for a season or 2 (then volleyball took over:). Yesterday she posted a picture from those days on fb, honoring the first day of camp for 2013! I know she was being nostalgic and missing those days of friendship, fellowship and just plain wholesome outdoor adventure... keep up the family traditions... thanks for the blog! Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Liz - you commented in on the blog! Thank you for being such a great cheerleader and encourager. What fun to know a little bit more about your kids at a younger age. Nostalgia is such a fun place to go.

      Delete
  2. I loved church camp when I was young. It was hands-down my favorite time of year. I always wished it would last two weeks instead of just one. In my adult years, I've continued to go as a counselor or as a kitchen worker. It's still a great experience, but I'm sure glad it's only one week instead of two now that I work at it. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, too, Tammy. I only got to go twice but I made friends both years and actually still have one of them as a penpal. SO very cool that you go back as a volunteer! Thanks for stopping by and sharing some of your traditions.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Barbara...I enjoyed hearing the circle of live unfold as you told about your daughter who decided to be a camp counselor when she came back from her first year at camp...and now is one.:)

    When I was a kid, summer meant playing stick-ball in the street or cards on the porch, sipping lemonade or selling it to unwary passersby.
    Reading was always a favorite activity and I looked forward to summer as a time I could read whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted. I would take out so many books from the library, people thought it was an alien creature...stack of books and two short little legs.

    My kids loved the lazy atmosphere of summer as well...they raced their big wheels down the driveway or helped me pick blueberries (we had over 100 bushes)...or sold lemonade to unwary passersby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vivian - I'm actually blogging about blueberry picking tomorrow! Thanks for sharing your memories of BIG wheels and lemonade stands ... what fun. It makes me smile when you drop by the Corner.

      Delete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!