Scrambling Eggs

Today I'm thinking about eggs.
How many references to eggs can you think of?

You're a good egg.
He's a rotten egg.
Don't be an egg head.
You're walking on egg shells.
She's got egg on her face.
That's more valuable than a golden egg.
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

My favorite has to be this one:


Maybe because I'm a baker.
Maybe because it's so true.
And probably because I see two sides to it.

Mr. Morgan is right that once scrambled, you can't make an egg whole again. That being said, he cautions his reader to choose carefully, and I like that advice.

But the other part that I see is that, even though you can't unscramble them, there are always lots of options for what to do with eggs that you've scrambled. Just add cheese and breakfast sausage. Or make huevos rancheros. Why not throw in some fried potatoes for a German dish. Omelette anyone?

So I'm headed to the kitchen to scramble an egg and make it into my grandma's crumb cake, because my friend Nigs is coming for a visit from England and it'll be the perfect complement to our afternoon tea.

Just for fun, here's that recipe.

Grandma Natzke's Crumb Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
Mix well in bowl; take out 3/4 cup mixture for topping.

To the remaining butter/flour/sugar mix, add
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. soda
Beat until smooth.
Pour into 9x13" cake pan. Sprinkle crumb mixture over top.
Bake at 340 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream or with your favorite coffee.

Buen provecho!





1 comment

  1. An egg-cellent quote! Sorry I couldn't resist! Food for thought, too! :) Seriously though, good advice to remember. Your crumb cake recipe sounds delicious!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!