Daring To Be Brave

Hello dear reader, and happy Friday.

Today I'm excited to introduce you to a fun new book
that just might help your child understand and conquer a fear or two, 
but not before I tell you about my trip to NASA yesterday.

John's supervisor invited me to talk with a few leadership giants
about Fixed and Growth Mindset, so I went to share Carol Dweck's work with a Star Wars spin that I adapted from {here}.



I have it on good authority that they really connected with the Mindset song 
I wrote for them and played on the Ukulele.
You are my Padawans, my Mindset Padawans ...
Anyway, so many fun presenting opportunities presenting themselves.

And now, today's book review:


Title: Daredevil Duck
Author & Illustrator: Charlie Alder
Publisher: Running Press Kids
Date: May 12, 2105
Suitable for ages: 3 and up
Fiction
Theme: courage, friendship, fear
Brief synopsis: Daredevil Duck only dreams of being brave. Will he be able to muster up some courage when mole's yellow balloon gets stuck in a tree and he needs Duck's help?

Opening page:


Resources:  Read the thoughts of a five-year-old {here}.
Read a review at Kids' Book Review {here}.
Read Keila Dawson's PPBF post {here}.
Compare and contrast this Duck tale with another book
with a conquering-fears theme from this list
Share this motivational clip about courage {here}.

Why I like this book: If you've already watched the little clip, you've seen the flip-flap feature that instantly endeared me to this treasure. I love lift-the-flap books, but it's rare to find them beyond the Board Book stage. 

Daredevil Duck totally wants courage to be his superpower. He wants do brave stuff, to be a superhero, but time and time again, his fear gets in the way, and he's scared silly. This is super common in younger children, so I predict they'll connect with this beautifully-illustrated Duck tale that has sent my heart soaring.   

As an enrichment idea, encourage students to create their own Fear-This Flip-Flap book listing or drawing out things that scare them. Under the flap, they can show ways in which they imagine processing through to conquer that fear. Give them a yellow balloon as a tangible reminder about Duck and his adventure.






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!